Sunday, August 31, 2008

SIPs... and DPNs that stay together


Vanilla sock, Nutkin sock (Beth LaPensee for Knitzi.com),
Spiral Boot sock (Véronik Avery from Interweave Summer '07)

"Have socks, will walk."

Here's the collection of current socks-in-progress. The vanilla sock is in Knittery's cashmere-y goodness, Sea World. The cashmere blend always wants to be vanilla socks. I think it knows it's great already. This is my second pair (or will be when I finish this second sock) and they are so comfy to wear on cold mornings... hence my rush to try to finish the second pair while we still have cold mornings. It stalled a little when I realised how much green I'd been knitting up of late. I needed a break. I needed something pink or red. So I cracked open the Lorna's Laces in Apple Hill I got with my Loopy Groupie welcome kit and started my second pair of Spiral Boot socks. The first pair are plain pink and are brilliant worn with boots. The ones I'm working on now are, if you haven't noticed, seriously bright, colourful socks. As opposed to frivolously bright, colourful socks... Finally, VCM will find out anyway... I'm knitting Mum the Nutkins. Again, second time around for the pattern, but it's so easy and so comfortable, even if it does bias. They're in the Crystal Palace Panda Cotton in Roses and - a-ha - are coming up roses. The cotton is so easy! And light enough for wear in Tropical temperatures. VCM actually spotted the Roses when she was visiting. "Oh, can I have socks out of that?" Now, understand, I'd been saving that yarn up for myself - I loved that yarn. "No, mine!" the two year old inside me squeaked out, instantly feeling rather bad about it. So I ordered two more balls of it! I always thought one should have one's cake and eat it too.

And after spotting a couple of blogs/video tutorials about making ends for dpns, I got hold of a trove of pencil toppers (more difficult than you'd necessarily think to obtain... I practically got the secret services involved... you know who knows what I mean!) and they work a treat when I carry my SIPs around. I found I didn't even need to attach them with elastic! They survive in my bag all day long and keep all the needles together around the house (my knitting tends to move regularly from room to room, sometimes, I swear, without my assistance). And they're funny! I've got cat's heads (which sounds very macabre or oddly mafia-ish), sushi, pirate devil ducks, devil ducks...

Glaistig (Robin Melanson, Knitting New Mittens & Gloves)
"I can almost reach that lemon..."

Will I ever stop knitting these mittens? Quick, incredibly pretty - the pattern calls for a buckle, but I find that a gorgeous button does the trick on the cuff - and very little yarn. I've already got two pairs of my own (one needs to coordinate), but there are mittens being churned out for friends too.

No comments: