Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Making good days

Okay, so sometimes, some of us have a good day. Most of the time, though, we have to make 'em. One of my favourite ways to make a good day is to give the hens yoghurt and observe their slurping. Case in point, Fifi just other day with a yoghurt moustache on her beak. Now, seriously, this wouldn't make you smile?
Mind, it looks like I've imprisoned her behind the chicken wire. She'd agree with you. But last time she was let out to free range beyond the coop, she managed to get on top of the roof. Nothing looks quite so bizarre as a suburban roof with a live chicken on top. Nothing is so funny as a chicken flying. They fly like I'd imagine dragons do: a kind of lumbering, wing beating effort that casts the coolest shadows on the grass below.

When it's difficult to make a good day, I think how remiss the media is today. The news abounds with items about Olympic swimmers breaking up with their boyfriends, wars in far off places... I long for the day when the newsreader pops up on screen:

"Today, the 1,000,000th Monkey sock was cast off in Latvia!"

or:

"Today, Wollmeise introduced a new colourway!"

Failing that, I've discovered that all my news-y goodness can be about knitting. I can check out Lime & Violet's Daily Chum, I can listen to a range of podcasts that tell me all about upcoming knitting events, new patterns, new yarns, what's hot, what's not, and, of course, there's always Ravelry... now, seriously, this is the news I'm talking about! News that means something to me. I know other things are important, too, but this is the news that matters, because I am far more likely to be thinking about which sock I'd like to knit next than to be thinking about Olympic swimmers (forgive the tone - I went to a high school populated with Olympic swimmers and we got over the awe pretty quickly).

Oh, the other thing to make a good day? Parcels! After a particularly long day explaining that S. Morgenstern doesn't exist, there was a parcel from VCM with a lilac cardigan inside. Will post photo when I've smoothed out the travel stress. Today I'm hoping for the Loopy Ewe parcel. Wollmeise...

I am now off to daydream...

2 comments:

Chooks'r'us said...

Tag - you're it! I've just passed on the 'You cheer me up award' that I received recently to you! The link is on my blog in the sidebar.

Gidgetknits said...

Oh, thank you!!! I will now admit to being very bad and confess in advance that it'll probably take me forever to actually constructively be 'it'. I was much the same at five - tag me and I'd be likely to wander off and see if there was any more lemonade! Nowadays, I'm more likely to wander off and see if there's more coffee...