Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Antique knitting equipment

Last night I tried out my 'new' 1940s yarn winder. I was winding up my Berry yarn from the Yo Yo ready for the Mystery Sock KAL last night (I'm half way through the cuff). It was a breeze! If only I had it before the Daisy yarn went all to... knots. I also tried out my Yarn Minder - a red bakelite contraption to hold the yarn ball neat and tidy. This one has an additional stitch guage in the bottom, which is kind of cool.

I also 'rescue' old knitting patterns - I'm still trying to flesh out my 20s/30s collection. So I was very supportive of this entry in 'Life in the Dome'. Crochet Lady is just glorious!

2 comments:

Chooks'r'us said...

I might be able to help you out in your rescue efforts. My mother in law collects knitting patterns but often has to buy them in bulk just to get one in a sequence that she needs. It also means she ends up with unwanted crochet patterns which is how I scored a huge pile from the 60s & 70s. If you give me some idea of what you particularly like, I might be able to pilfer some for you. That looks like a good cosy knitting spot by the way!

Gidgetknits said...

Believe me, I'm horribly unfussy about knitting patterns - the older the better, really! I'm more 60s and older, though, if I'm honest.

That would be great and I'd forever be in your debt!