Monday, November 3, 2008

I think I'm in love

This is one of the most amazing tops I've ever seen. It's from Kristeen Griffin-Grimes' French Girl Knits: Innovative Techniques, Romantic Details, and Feminine Designs. Doesn't she have a fantastic name, too? From what I've been able to detect, I have to wait till January, but, oh... I'm in love, I'm in love, I'm in love! In fact, I'm coming over all Gollum and reciting 'my precious' every time I look at it.

Or perhaps I've simply been drinking too much coffee lately? And indulging in too many Halloween Buffy marathons?

I love that so many knitwear designers are being really inspired by vintage looks though. Let's face it, some of us don't quite fit into all the actual vintage clothing out there. It's nice to be able to recreate it.

I'm also striving, between piles of marking and far too many meetings, to unofficially take part in NaNoWriMo. I enjoy writing. I no longer worry about ever being published, although I do still send off my manuscripts, a hint of a malicious gleam in my eye as I think of the inevitable slush pile and how I'm defiantly adding to it. One day, maybe, I'll get out of that slush pile. In the meantime, I'll just keep writing. Only, at the moment, my heroines become obsessed with knitting socks. I just wrote an entire scene featuring sock knitting. Sock knitting and a werewolf.

No, I'm not writing the great Australian novel. I'm writing for fun. I discovered long ago that writng about reality isn't fun. Besides, despite my best intentions, heroines would inevitably discover their fathers were rock stars and their mothers were the daughters of English Dukes... okay, I was thirteen at that time, what do you want from me? I was also eternally frustrated by advice in Little Women and Anne of Greengables suggesting I should write honestly about my life instead of writing sensationalist romances. When I grew up, I discovered with delight that Louisa May Alcott didn't take her own advice. Wizard!

It's rainy today. My favourite weather. But the new hens are a little puzzled. Mimi is hiding under the hen house. They haven't been out in proper rain yet. There just hasn't been much about in their young lives.

1 comment:

Grand Purl Baa said...

Hello Gidgetknits
I love it when a new girl visits and comments. It means I get introduced to someone and something new. A story. Venero Amarno is a Brisbane writer, now extremely successfully published. He wrote and sent off 7 complete novels before his 1st 'yes'. If one writes because one must then everything after that is a bonus. And.. possibly at some stage, a living. Thanks for popping in. Loani