Saturday, December 27, 2008

Frosty would definitely melt

It's hot... but is it too hot to wear a shawl? Like, perhaps my Woodland Shawl (Nikol Lohr, Thrifty Knitter) in Bellamodern's The Lord of the Rings colourway?


This is my first shawl and my first attempt at serious blocking and I love the result! Yes, the shawl is dainty, but it drapes around my shoulders nicely and, without the excess drapage, is really actually very practical as well as gorgeous. Just the thing to whip on over a plain white T-shirt for a walk in the woods! The colours are incredible and the leaf pattern, as you can see, really comes to life once blocked. The beauty of the shawl, of course, is that it can be knitted up out of a skein of sock yarn and after a while, the logic of the pattern works into your mind and you can knit away happily while watching Miss Marple or Doctor Who. I practically began this blog with this shawl... so, yes, this is just what Arwen would wear! It is Arwen's Shawl.

I'm just deciding on what to knit the Sherwood Stole in now... I am tempted to use my skeins of Fleece Artist Twilight... just the thing for Maid Marian to wear when rendevousing with Guy... oops, I mean Robin... in the middle of the night in the depths of Sherwood Forest...

Of course, Papa has this odd idea that I should finish up his second sock first. Yes, I did give one gift where the needles were still in the project! I told Papa it was so he could learn to knit. He is not buying it. But is it my fault men have such huge feet?

3 comments:

Chooks'r'us said...

the shawl is magnificent! This whole world of wool and colour ways relating to literature is just fascinating. What could you make from the Twilight Twine? A net to catch Edward? A dress for Alice? Some socks for Bella seems just about right actually - or maybe her Dad (I like the pepper spray scenes too). I liked the whole teenage angst of it - very funny.

Bells said...

Isn't the first shawl a great, fabulous moment? It's gorgeous. Well done. Love the colours.

Caffeine Faerie said...

It's gorgeous! Well done you! Arwen would have loved something like that, IMMHO!