Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Think purple!


Why is it that purple vegetables always seem that bit more exciting? I never get excited by green beans and even though these purple beauties turn green as they cook... they're just more fun. There's been a quite good crop this season all things considered and the garden is replanted with my favourite herbs, including lemon thyme and tarragon... and purple basil. Mimi did attempt to dig it all up, as well as eat all the ripe blackberries. As a result of her crimes, she is now imprisoned in the new coop.


Who says old window screens can't be useful as doors to hen coops? Mimi and Coco are trying to break out of the new residence. And there was a time when I had to plant the marigolds thrice because she kept pulling them up, even though she was on the other side of the wire. Lola and Fifi came out for the photo, though they are spending most of their time indoors as they are losing feathers at a remarkable rate. I could fill a duvet. I'm trying to refrain from calling them self-plucking hens.

My new stole has just been cast on... but we're talking serious chartage here. This will take me a little while to get used to.

No comments: