Saturday, January 10, 2009

Giving Kermit a run for his money


It is easy being green! Although, it is dangerous to check out online yarn with a very enabling VCM. Some Rainforest from the Knittery (enough for a large shawl and socks) and some bargains from Wired for Fibre, including the softest most loveliest Alpaca Love, merino/silk Tidal, merino Jade and bamboo/superwash Serenity (which tempts me towards the Kaylee socks - how I waited for that pattern!). Now, I just wish it would grow in the garden! Can you imagine popping out in the morning to pick your just ripened cashmere? A girl can dream...

Hens are currently having wonderful dirt baths - they finished digging up the Jerusalem artichokes for me. I thought Mimi was half way to China last night.

I discovered that Vermouth is also excellent in my regular potato and leek soup. I mean, seriously. Yum. This cooking with Vermouth is fun. I also tried out gluten-free scones to go with the soup. Yes, I've had to go gluten and dairy free. It's a nuisance. At least it didn't strike till post-Christmas. And in some ways isn't bad. Although I resent the fact that I no longer crave cookies, but apples. Sort of. On the other hand, that little hole in my tooth that has been holding for the last twenty years? I think it may need filling. That's just depressing. Since, you know... I now crave apples.

3 comments:

John said...

So... when are we going to hear about some kind of gluten-free apple-laden fruit pie with... let's see... Vermouth?

Gidgetknits said...

Don't laugh - I might!

Bells said...

Cashmere in the garden? Growing in amongst the veggies? Oh that's a knitter's dream.

I'm seriously tracking down some vermouth this week and I'll have you to thank!