Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just add Ents


Can't you just picture an Ent Moot here? This is one of many photographs I took at the gardens at Heronswood. The gardens aren't large and are quite rambly and I wished desperately that they'd had more of their heritage fruit trees and vegetables to look at (there was a gorgeous mulberry that reminded me of the tree I grew up by), but there were little spots and views that were just amazing and wonderful.


Just like spying a very green ocean from over a bed of bright mauve artichoke thistles.

We had lunch at the cafe and I finished with an amazing pink peppercorn pavlova with lemon curd and strawberries. I just had to have the pink peppercorn pavlova. I mean, seriously. I picked up another raspberry plant and a brown berry tomato plant at the shop. Not a huge shop, though.

On the way back, we stopped at Tyabb's antique stores to be sure I hadn't left anything behind last year (okay, so last year was less than a fortnight earlier...). VCM spotted Weldon's Needlework sitting on an antique sewing machine. I practically squealed in the middle of the shop. VCM quickly hijacked Weldon's Needlework and put it away 'for your birthday.' A very unfair slight of hand. If you don't know Weldon's Needlework... hmm... well, some of Weldon's work is adapted in Victorian Lace Today.

The following day, VCM located some amazing fresh dill, basil etc at the farmer's market (that has since been planted in the rejuvenated herb patch), as well as a pile of the most beautiful vegetables which she whipped into a soup because, yes, I had a terrible cold and was in bed for two days. I was too sick to knit! Which meant that the aborted New Year's Eve start of my new shawl (the Sherwood Stole in Twilight) remained... ah... aborted. I made a mistake in the chart. I'm not used to charts. I just need to go back a few stitches. So, I'm thinking, this is the end of my holiday, I could sit this afternoon with Doctor Who and come to grips with charts and such...


Or, of course, I could finish the paternal sock that was wrapped up with the needles in the Christmas present...

2 comments:

Bells said...

Oh seriously, that pavlova just had to be tried. What was it like?

Sorry you've been sick - I hate it when health gets in the way of knitting!

Oh and I LOVE that thistle photo!

Gidgetknits said...

The pavlova was delicious! But a bit rich towards the end... or that could have been the result of my finishing all the lemon curd too early...