Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Yarn About London...

Oh, and there's a Cinema Club spoiler at the end of this email... after the really bad pun in the title!


I had one day in London. What to do with just one day in London? Well, aside from visiting all my favourite haunts and checking out a street sign for a colleague (academics do odd things like this), I ticked off the two yarn shops I really wanted to visit. First was I Knit. It's a small store, but packed with yarny goodness. I picked up a Zauberball in shades of green, the new knitting graphic novel, and a bookmark made of paper manufactured from sheep poo! It looks perfectly normal and on the bookmark is written all the details about the paper manufacture. A friend I saw later picked it up and was happily reading... and then she very gently held the bookmark out by the tip: "thank you very much for letting me touch the sheep poo!"

After a pit stop at Pret, I headed off to Socktopus, which is a little trickier to reach, but definitely worth the visit! Annie is so lovely and all that scrumptious sock yarn! She even completely understood the need to take a photo of my sock in progress there. And invited me to join the group knitting in the courtyard, which is how I found myself in London, knitting away happily with fellow knitters and talking about how to properly fit bras! A fantastic place.


I gathered together all my yarn... you can see the Zauberball. The rest is from Socktopus, including my new glass circulars in lime and violet, which are really lovely. I picked up the 'Pansy Golightly' Smooshy, which is just so so pretty. 'Bubblegum' and 'Sea Lettuce' from Sheldrige Farm. And Vancalcar Acres Jennifer's Flocksock Yarn in 'Something for Hufflepuff', because I'd pick Hufflepuff if I could. Hufflepuff is seriously underrated!


And when I did get back from all these adventures, I found my Pretty in Pink installment, the last of my cinema club haul. The yarn is a gorgeous, soft orange with a hint of pink, inspired by the gorgeously red haired Andy. I adore it.

5 comments:

Rose Red said...

Oh I'm so envious - of all it - but especially the Zauberball! Even the name sounds fabulous!! Is it soft, or a bit scratchy (like Regia) that will soften on washing? I love the colours!!

Gidgetknits said...

It's not *as* soft - a little stringy - but I think it'll soften up nicely on washing. I'm really curious to see how the subtle changes of hue work on the sock itself... once I pick a sock pattern!

Jacqui said...

Socktopus :) v. funny. I love the whole community around craft - what a great way to spend a few hours in London. Yes, one day is seriously hard to prioritise but I think you did well! That street name wasn't for you know who, was it? That's just the sort of thing he gets up to.

Gidgetknits said...

Jacqui, you guessed right! It was for you know who, but it gave me an excuse to go back to Covent Garden... that's right... I need to invoice him for the research assistance...

artificiallymythic said...

And you went to Pret... *sob*
And all that stash. *sigh*
And yay for Covent Garden.