Saturday, August 22, 2009

It really wanted to be a shawl...

If you scroll back into the history of this blog, you'll see a certain hank of Socks That Rock Pixie Park has led an adventurous life. It started out destined to be a Maelstrom, but it pooled really really weirdly. I eventually frogged it. Then I thought I'd hit gold. Outside In socks! I started once, lost my place weirdly (it's not that difficult a pattern, so I'm not sure how I managed that), started again... at our kniterature group, I realised I'd gotten the seam in completely the wrong place. I looked around the group, appalled. Artificially Mythic patted me on the shoulder. "It doesn't want to be a sock." She was joined by a chorus of, "it doesn't want to be walked on! It's too pretty! It wants to be a shawl!" "Ishbel," murmured Artificially Mythic. A week later, my first Ishbel, known as The Princess and the Pea Shawl in honour of intended socks, was blocking and now here it is.

Yes, it really, really wanted to be a shawl!

And it's glorious. The colours sing. The pattern was so easy (although someone make me cast off a little looser!) and is so pretty. I just want to keep making Ishbels. I've got the bug.

3 comments:

artificiallymythic said...

Well, I don't see any problem with a cocktail bar full of ishbels - you have such lovely margaritas just dying to be shown off.

And she is quite stunning isn't she? I'm looking forward to having a fondle. You know, that Black forest Needle food you got would also make a nice Ishbel...

I think I'll just go do some more chapter now... >.<

Gidgetknits said...

Hmmm... chocolate cake goodness of an Ishbel... that has promise! And I love the idea of a cocktail bar full of ishbels!

Rose Red said...

Glad the yarn finally told you what it wanted to be - and how perfect it is!