Saturday, December 12, 2009

'Tis the Season and all

I thought I'd share with you one of my favourite seasonal treats, "Happy Life Day." Yes, Princess Leia singing something uplifting (I kind of miss what, because I'm always giggling too much) to a bunch of Wookies while Han and Luke look on with somewhat dazed, goofy expressions. What were they thinking? And doesn't it just make you want to whip out some needles and knit yourself Princess Leia hair buns?

Personally, I think Princess Leia is one of the great fairy tale heroines. Right from the moment she addresses Luke: "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" Which is brilliantly realised with Scottish accent at Star Wars Uncut. I have a weakness for Scottish accents! Seriously, though, she is a wise-cracking, snarky, can-do princess who spends a great deal of her time helping to rescue her rescuers. What's not to love?

And "why you low-down, stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder" was one of the first quotes I ever memorised. Not for me rattling off Shakespeare, Milton or Keats. No, I could rattle of Princess Leia! Still can and find it incredibly useful.

Then, I'm also a Carrie Fisher fan. Postcards from the Edge was re-read infinite times during my late teens. No, I never developed drug or alcohol problems, though I did go through a stage of drinking Diet Cokes and salads because of it...

3 comments:

artificiallymythic said...

Princess Leia is my all time favourite fantasy character. I love her to bits. I wanted to *be* her (because Han is so gorgeous).

But that Star Wars Christmas special scarred me for life. Thanks for the nightmares all over again. :P

Gidgetknits said...

I think I still want to be Leia. Apart from when she kisses her brother... that's just wrong. And you're welcome re the nightmares! ;-)

Rose Red said...

I love Princes Leia too. Except I was never a Han Solo fan and always wanted her to be with Luke. Until I found out that sibling thing...

I also didn't know the Village People were gay for such a long time...

Oh dear.