Sunday, January 17, 2010

'That' colour/What knitting to take if you're stranded at the other end of the universe/Socks for Hamlet


Work on the pink robots continues. I've always been curious (often amused, too) about the aversion and, on occasion, outright fear some people exhibit towards the colour pink. You don't very often hear someone say they don't like green or blue (well, sometimes in relation to a specific object, such as hating red cars or black curtains). You do, however, frequently hear people say that they dislike pink. Others love it and embrace it to a terrifying extent. I'm still deciding upon the significance of Professor Umbridge in this respect.

For those of you who may have issues about the 'girlyness' of pink, in particular, the funny thing is... it's only recently that pink was associated with girls. It used to be the colour for boys! Don't believe me? Maybe you'll believe Stephen Fry and the QI panelists.

So I hide a little smirk when my feminist credentials are challenged whenever I'm wearing a fluffy pink sweater!

I've been catching up on Stargate Universe lately. It has the feel of Battlestar Galactica and I've been really enjoying it, especially the storyline involving the dubious Dr Rush (yes, I liked Gaius Baltar too). One thing I did wonder... did anyone have knitting projects in their bags before jumping through the Stargate to be stranded on an alien ship, the other side of the universe? Imagine not even having one sock on the go... Come on, you've been wondering that too if you've been watching and you're a knitter! And think of how handy a knitter on board would potentially be, particularly in respect to supplementing everyone's rather monotonous wardrobe. I still think Rush could use some fingerless mittens.

Speaking of which, I noticed the comments on my red shoes post and yes, the RSC production of Hamlet, released on DVD, is brilliant, though I'm not going to give a precisely serious review of it here (but I did discover a blog covering some of the filming). I've been calling it - tongue-in-cheek - the ten year old's Hamlet, because it brought back to me that first fantastic rush of excitement I had on finding the play, bouncing around the living room furniture acting out the death scenes and declaring the great soliloquies like 'to be or not to be' (I was ten - hence - ten year old's Hamlet)! In other words, not a jaded or self-important production, but one full of energy and discovery. Plus, it solved one of the great dilemmas. Why did Hamlet procrastinate so long in acting on his desire for revenge - why did he, in effect, have cold feet?


Yes, all he needed was a pair of nice woolly socks and all would have been well that ended well... (told you I wasn't going to be precisely serious.)

3 comments:

Ellie said...

Knitting on Stargate Universe :)

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5582660/1/The_Greater_Good

Andrea said...

Ugh! How can a colour be related to feminism?!? Some people really are idiots. I did know about pink being a boy colour (derived from red, which is strong and masculine, whereas blue is for girls because they're airy and flighty!) but just try to dress a baby boy in anything remotely pink, even as pinstripes - everyone throws a hissy fit, even his dad. This is one of those things that really ticks me off!

I too am a huge Hamlet fan, which culminated in 32 hours total at the Astor watching Kenneth Branagh's 4 hour version eight times! KB - still swoon-worthy. I confess that I prefer Shakespeare's comedies to his dramas, but I hold a soft spot for Hamlet.

Gidgetknits said...

I loved that Branagh version - his rendering of the sparrow speech... wow. I got to see him perform Hamlet with the RSC long, long ago too! He was brilliant, softer (if that makes sense) - and the Ophelia, Joanne Pearce, was the best I've ever seen. Okay, will now stop writing about Hamlet...