Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shaking Our Tail Feathers!

Today, it's all about tail feathers... or the lack thereof. After months of cluckiness, I locked Fifi out of her hen house and she realised that is was, indeed, more fun to be out pecking and dust bathing than to be sitting in straw, grumpy all the time. Only, due to months of cluckiness, the moment she started being up and and about, she lost all her feathers. Here she is with just two tail feathers, which was a comical sight, really. Sorry Fifi.


She has since lost the two tail feathers and there is something rather bizarre about a hen without any tail feathers...

Speaking of which, I've become obsessed with 50/60s dress patterns. But how can you not love patterns for 'wiggle skirts'?

This wiggle skirt actually has an overskirt, a peculiar 60s fashion I fell in love with while watching Gidget as a kid (in reruns - I don't usually worry too much about giving away my age, but since I listen to 60s bands like The Rolling Stones and the Troggs and I harbour an urge to be Emma Peel when I grow up, I feel the need to point out, I wasn't yet born in the 60s).

My fingers are actually itching to clean off the sewing machine desk and dig into my fabric stash. Only... last time the machine ate my seam. Literally. There were great bites taken out of the fabric. And I really want a vintage sewing machine... it only seems right...

I am kind of amused that many of the sellers on Etsy are tagging the 60s patterns with Mad Men. I am now threatening to turn up to lectures next semester dressed like Joan Harris. And yet, I haven't actually watched much of the series. I think I need the DVD box sets and a marathon weekend. The fashion is calling to me. Maybe I'll make appletinis.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

I have that exact pattern at home! I got completely hooked on Mad Men last year - you do have to watch it from the start though so yes, get the box set. Sounds like you might need a new machine...

Gidgetknits said...

Oh, I can't believe you have the same pattern! Have you made it up yet? We could hit the town and order martinis in matching dresses.