Sunday, March 7, 2010

Feeling 18th century

Still no running hot water...

And no servants running about heating water for my bath, either...


I've been getting a little obsessed by skirt shapes. Particularly eighteenth century skirt shapes. You can see a partial image here from the gorgeously illustrated Dangerous Liaisons (although, come on, like me you thought that there is something very Doctor Who about the mannequins used - like a mash-up of "Rose" and "The Girl in the Fireplace"). There's also some excellent screen captures of Jefferson in Paris here that also show the kinds of dresses I'm thinking of. The kind that make me think a little shawlette tucked in around the bodice would really work for an updated version. They are, after all, a contemporary spin on the fichu...

Yes, I've been thinking about new ways to wear the dozens of shawlettes I've made and am making.

You can also see above a dress pattern I snapped up the other day - a 60s take, I think, on that 18th century skirt. The square neckline, extend the sleeves a little... I think I could make it a wearable wink to the 18th century.

No comments: