Tuesday, April 27, 2010

New Favourite Song

It's lunch time. I'm munching Chilli Beef Soup (you can get the recipe from the Pret website here) and thinking about shoes. It's something you do when you're researching fairy tales. Truly.

In Marie-Catherine D'Aulnoy's Cinderella tale, Finette Cendron, our erstwhile heroine isn't gadding about in impractical glass slippers that would require a very good pedicure. She's wearing red velvet and pearl embroidered slippers, all too easily lost when running home. However, like any sensible woman, when she loses a slipper, she doesn't keep running. She does try to find it. But it's dark and it's a wood, so she's out of luck. However, Prince Cheri does find it and he's thrilled: "he had it picked up, examined it, admired its diminutive size and elegance, turned it over and over, kissed it, took care of it, and carried it home with him. From that day on, he refused to eat and became thin" (Jack Zipes, The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm, p. 465 - and no, that isn't proper scholarly citation). Don't you love that? The prince falls in love with her shoe. But it's red. It sounds really cute.

Which leads me to my new favourite song, Zooey Deschanel's "Brand New Shoes": "I had some brand new shoes/ They were all red, but they gave me the blues."

Of course, these new shoes are not giving me the blues and, being Mary Janes, I'm unlikely to lose them in the woods fleeing a shoe fashionista like Cheri.


By the way, Coraline is nearly finished blocking and my rhinestone buttons should arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Rose Red said...

Red! Shiny! MaryJanes! What's not to love!! They would never give you the blues!

drkknits said...

oh man, check out those shoes! i was wearing red mary janes today but they have nothing on those. definitely the stuff of fairy tales!

artificiallymythic said...

Excuse me while I squee at your shoes. Where did you get them?!

bellsknits.com said...

sigh. Pretty. Want.

Geek Knitter said...

Oh now... those are just lovely!

Maria said...

They are defintely shoes for a fairy tale dream. What's the brand, I so want a pair - please