Saturday, July 3, 2010

To Middle Earth and Back

Yes, the previous post was a teaser composed in a delusional, jetlagged state and filled with little in-jokes...

Like ninja sheep...

You didn't know the Remarkables were really ninja sheep, did you? (And Margaritas weren't even involved at that point.)

But, in fact, I did sneak off to Middle Earth last month. And I had company. I wonder how many people have rumbled what company I had? Needle Food did... Anyway, we wanted to ride horses in Middle Earth. And we did. (Later note: we went with Dart Stables, who were fantastic.)


There, in fact, is Sam, one of the Lord of the Rings horses. I'm on the horse whose ear you can just see. He's called Bryan and he likes to sit in twiggy bushes relieving certain itches.

Seriously.

It's very comical.

If you aren't sitting on top of him in the middle of a bush.

A couple of days before, I was riding the most gigantic horse in existence through Lothlórien. Okay, maybe not the most gigantic horse, but he had once ridden with the barbarians in Hercules and I have it on good authority that it was highly hilarious watching me trying to mount.

What did we do other than ride? We ate pizza and Mexican food, we walked a lot, we knitted (I knitted a lot of TARDISes, but more on that next post), we went on the Trans-Alpine train, a gondola in Queenstown, to visit albatrosses in Dunedin, and we discovered that playing David Bowie songs to a muted Star Trek film on TV is really, really brilliant. And something about Cotechino sandwiches that should probably stay between us.


But look at these views! It snowed in Queenstown when we were there!!!


And on our way to Rivendell...


And I learned that I love taking photographs of ducks. I have a camera half filled with duck photos.

3 comments:

Rose Red said...

Heh heh, I always take duck photos too when I'm on holidays!

Love your trip to Middle Earth, I hope to go there too one day. But am most envious of your visit to Needlefood!

drkknits said...

oh we've rumbled you alright! so glad you had a great time, what an adventure!!

artificiallymythic said...

What did you say about *Cugini* sandwiches? You know, the ones with all the different types of cured meat?

Oh dear Gawd.

Your photos are stunning! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.