Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Cows Have Gone and Put Their Coats On

You know I'd begun to think my latest sweater project was jinxed. First the burn mark, then sewing the pieces together in all the wrong places. But it's done! I took out the needle and scissors, put all to rights, knitted on the neck band and...

Oh, that's ugly, I thought. Big, bulky, and ugly.

Huh.

Oh well, I might as well try it on, right?

Oh!

It's good. It feels like you're getting a hug from a big old sheep. The ribbing really brings it in around the hips and wrists so that the bulkiness elsewhere actually looks attractive. The wide neckline makes it perfect and slouchy to wear with your pyjama pants on a cold, wet day like today. Yes, I like it! It's my 'at home sweater'. My 'I need a comfy sweater' sweater. Intentions panned out! I like my sweater.

Details? It's named "Cows Have All Gone Running Home To Put Their Coats On" after one of my favourite Marmalade songs (got to love a band called The Marmalade). It's Edie from Kim Hargreaves' Precious. All knitted up in BWM's Luxury 10ply, Blue Denim. I'm not saying it wasn't a chore sometimes knitting all this up, but it's comfy!!!


Our little household is, meanwhile, still in mourning for Mimi. Yes, I have laughed at the strangeness of grieving for a chicken, but she was a grand hen and everyday, you'd see her about, pecking and scratching and generally throwing her weight around. Well, at least, until the last few months, when she'd been quiet, tired and, I think, in pain generally. She's buried now in her favourite spot under the plum tree. Coco, her best buddy, is still getting used to not having her about and sleeping arrangements have altered to the despair of Lola and Fifi, now sharing their hen house because I don't want Coco to be alone.

While sorting all that out, Wee Davie has been up to all sorts of new tricks.


He's off to the vet tomorrow - shhhhhhh. Just a check up and such. He's so funny. He has developed this wonderful snuffling noise as he wags his tail and tries to eat my slippers. I think I might nickname him Snuffles, which would only be appropriate... his grandsire, believe it or not, was called 'Grim'. Yes, grandson of the Grim! Harry Potter geekery kicks right in.

Anyway, I have some secret work to catch up on...

1 comment:

drkknits said...

you know, i was thinking he looked familiar. definitely descended from HP royalty! i am very sorry to hear about your chook, i hope the others dont pine for her too much, i hear chooks have a finely balanced social dynamic. and snap, i made an FLS in that luxury colour. it grew to buggery when i washed it tho, so careful there!