Thursday, September 30, 2010

Life is better with a big pink ball

Last night Wee Davie had a bright pink ball to play with. This was the best present EVER. I mean, 'in the history of the world' ever. And I thought, as I stood at the door watching him running and jumping and panting and running and jumping all over again with his ball...

Oh, if it only took a big pink ball to make me feel that happy. How good would life be, then?

Mind, it's not exactly bad. I finished 'A Country Walk with Mr Beaumaris' (aka Arabella by Beautia Dew) in Cascade 220 and this is the best fitting sweater EVER. Perhaps not quite 'in the history of the world' ever, but close enough! Apart from the extra inch I should have knitted at the bottom. I already added an extra inch, but as my very clever mother reminded me, I seem to have been blessed with a long torso and she has to add two inches to every dress she makes me, which drives her slightly insane.


I think the colour and the design simply compliment each other. The neckline is perfect too, which is unusual with me. I also have narrow shoulders. Aunts who once made my one and only off the shoulder dress cursed me for weeks.

The success of this sweater made me very conscious of knitting sweaters that fit and flatter. At which point, I pulled on my very favourite knitted cardigan and looked sadly at the matted yarn and general wear on the lace. This is the cardigan that has always fitted well. That feels good. That looks good... or at least did till the yarn gave up the ghost, so to speak. Problem was... I'd lost the pattern and this was before I knew about Ravelry. I thought all I had was this photo to memorialise the best cardigan pattern EVER.


But then, as I was looking through my photos, I unearthed a photo of the cardigan in progress and there, underneath the knitting, was the pattern. I zoomed in excitedly. It was the Charm Wrap by Mary Jane Mucklestone. I Ravelled it. It was indeed a free Knitting Daily pattern once... several years ago. It's no longer available online. Now I just have to figure out how to find a copy. Is it really bad form to ask one of the people who have knitted it if they still have a copy? It is from a magazine, but it was offered free and that's how I found it, until I lost the file during various laptop upgrades. Hmmmm...

In the meantime, the hens have new digs! Mum and I put this up in an afternoon without the aid of the incredibly helpful instructions (I'm being ironic about the helpfulness of the instructions - there was a diagram of what the house should look like with a lot of arrows and letters that were all scrambled up), but with a surfeit of screws, all in the wrong sizes. Nonetheless, and despite a nesting box lid that doesn't quite fit yet, it's up and it looks good. The hens can now watch Wee Davie going rather nutty over his pink ball from the comfort and security of their new coop.









5 comments:

Celeritas said...

Have you had a look at your local library, they might have Knitscene?

Rose Red said...

The jumper is great and that's not a hen house, it's a hen mansion!

Gidgetknits said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Celeritas... I always forget the local library. Alas... not there. I'll keep searching, though, as there might be another one that keeps it.

drkknits said...

i dont think its bad form to ask no, given the circumstances. and that hen house is AMAZING! so glad things are working out in that department. big pink balls are The Best.

artificiallymythic said...

Oooh! best. hen mansion. EVAR!

And such a gorgeous jumper - beautiful pattern, stunning colour.

And Oh Davie! How do I love thee? Looks like he was having an awesome time with the pink ball. ;)