Saturday, January 1, 2011

And a Merry 2011


Happy New Year
from
Madame de Pompapig

What? You don't knit pigs on New Year's?

Madame de Pompapig comes from the fabulous Knitting Mochimochi by Anna Hrachovec ('Pigs with Wigs') and is knitted up in Cleckheaton Country.

She is inspired by the Austrian tradition of giving pigs for luck at New Year's - I decided to knit my own luck! She is also inspired by Mrs Future, a fantastic pig from The Vacillations of Poppy Carew by Mary Wesley, one of my favourite books. It's not really a book about pigs. There's a pig farmer in it though. I always liked that pig farmer.

And with that glorious beehive, she's also a little inspired by Madame de Pompadour, hence her name.

I think she's rather wonderful.

Welcome 2011.

3 comments:

Rose Red said...

I'd only be worried if you were knitting new year's pigs inspired by Animal Farm! Madame de Pompapig is too too cute!

Happy new year!

drkknits said...

hehe, pompapig...funny. love it! hope she is the herald of a very lucky and fun filled 2011.

artificiallymythic said...

She's gorgeous! Is there a pattern that comes with wings as well?

Happy 2011 and all that timey-wimey-wibbley-wobbly stuff. I know you're going to have a blast this year.

So when are you moving over here again? ;p