Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chocolate Paws

In celebration of returning my nose to the grindstone, so to speak, I set aside a few minutes in the evening to finish redecorating Wee Davie's room (aka the laundry).

It has been a scary room for a very long time. It was the last room we needed to repaint, but since it was filled with odds and ends and the previous paint job was flaking quite a lot, we'd naturally put it off. Over Christmas, however, Papa came armed with a tin of mint green paint and the determination to give Wee Davie a place to sleep that wouldn't terrify him with its insipid pinkness (I like pink... just not that pink).

Last night, I finished off the job. What does a mint green paint job require? Chocolate paws.


No, I didn't paint them on. I cheated. The colour isn't quite right in this photo, but you get the idea.

Incidentally, I can finally show you some knitting I did over Christmas, inspired by tales of incredible snow falls. It was snowing on friends of mine. Obviously, they required mittens.

Plus, I'd been dying to knit up Barbara Gregory's Ringo & Elwood. (I will add that if I had to pick a Beatle, it'd be Ringo. He had the greatest sense of humour. But I am more a Rolling Stones kind of woman.) A little Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 4ply (in Cream and Delphinium Blue) later, and I had snow critters!



This is just the most amazingly cute design. Look at how those thumbs are tails! And it's all reversible! I couldn't decide between critters, so I did one of each. That seemed perfectly reasonable.

There were also other hands requiring mittens, but these hands needed the fingers to be free, so I adapted sublimialrabbit's Bella's Mittens to fingerless, as many have done before me. Only, I stopped the cabling a few rows early and added a couple of rows of moss stitch and the entire mitten, knitted in a finer weight (Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 8ply in Cream), turned out much more elegant.


The mittens finally made it - and before the snow stopped for good!

Okay, nose back to grindstone...

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Wee Davie's bedroom now looks better than mine. Mint green is the perfect colour for such a wee happy little manikins :)

Love the Bella's - perfect colour, perfect yarn.

drkknits said...

haha, love the paw prints on the walls. in my house it would match the muddy ones on the floor right now. and the mittens are all gorgeous. i must make myself some this year.