Monday, January 10, 2011

A Gluten Free Digression

I'm on holiday. But lazing. I like holidays at home sometimes. I have adventures planned later in the year, but for now, catching up on little things helps.

One of the things I've been doing is catching up on gluten free blogs. I'm trying not to be a bore about the whole gluten free thing, although, since I'm also dairy intolerant (apart from a cheat once in a while) and am increasingly going vegetarian (seriously, I think once you start cutting foods out, it becomes a masochistic habit), it sometimes gets tricky. Cafes where I live aren't very helpful. They will usually offer you the choice of one salad and maybe if you're lucky, a soup. Sometimes they just look puzzled and you sigh and order a soy chai latte and go home to eat. Things are better in other places. Although seriously, everything gluten free in the sweet department seems to involve chocolate. Yes, at times, you do get sick of chocolate. Moan over.

When my parents visited for Christmas, though, Mum realised that she was feeling better sharing my gluten free diet and she's thinking gluten might be one of her problems. When I tell her what I'm eating, she often asks how I've made it, and since she may very well go gluten free herself, my standard "actually... I'm not sure... I was just throwing things in" might not go down as well. I won't post heaps of recipes, but the odd one or two so that she knows where to find them.

First, Mum, here are some chick pea patties!


Very simple. Drain a can of chick peas and add one potato (chopped and boiled till ready to mash), one spring onion (chopped), about 2 tablespoons of quinoa flour (or until you get a good patty consistency - you can add more at the end if you need to), one egg, two garlic cloves (chopped), a generous shake of paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Mash up with your food processor of choice. At the end, add a generous scoop of flax seeds and stir in. Heat a mix of sunflower and sesame oils in a pan and dollop the mixture in, making patties. Brown on both sides. Can be served with chilli jam, which is delicious.

Needless to say, this is just a rough guide! I'm still very bad at noting the quantities I use. I have also become a little obsessed with popovers since discovering this great recipe at Ginger Lemon Girl. I'm now on the search for the perfect popover pan (I used a muffin pan and they were delicious, but I know they can be even better in the proper pan) and on that search I did not find this pan that would be ideal for Firefly parties. Let's see how long I manage to hold out.

In the meantime, and since I lack any knitting ready to show, here are some shots of Wee Davie, who has spent the last few days 'flopping'.



4 comments:

Paul said...

Clearly our 8-month old has been to your site ... she's been flopping like this for days and we couldn't figure it out!

drkknits said...

its too hot for anything except flopping. lots of it going on at my place too. and i like the look of those patties!

Grand Purl Baa said...

Davie the Dog. Fab.
Hey Ms Gidget
ta for your hello and thoughts over at QOTTC.
Now I want to know about that red telephone. Does it work? Do you use it?

Gidgetknits said...

The red phone does indeed work and I do use it - with glee! It just won't work on automated customer service lines... which may not be a bad thing!