Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sunshine

Actually, sunshine and humidity. It's never a good mix. I've been avoiding posting for a few days, because as some may have noticed, in Queensland in particular, things weren't good. I grew up in Brisbane. My family is in Brisbane and up around Toowoomba. It was a nervous few days. I was doing things like making Duck-in-the-Hole Toast to calm the nerves, which weren't at all helped by the coverage, which didn't appear to distinguish between genuine threat and some of the minor 'it always floods there' situations. So in the end, I turned off the coverage. But I still had my Duck-in-the-Hole Toast.


Not that I was too worried. I grew up with stories about the 1974 floods. Whenever we looked at property, Mum's first questions would be about flood risk. Brisbane is a river city. Rivers flood. So while our house is very close to the river, it's also high. The people who built it over a hundred years ago thought about flooding and situated it above conceivable flood waters. Thank you to those builders!

There's still some really awful stories - and some that make you cry because, gee, people are great most of the time. Of course it means a bit more to you, personally, when you're looking at places you know - places you've had coffee, driven through on countless visits to your grandparents etc. I know there's really terrible floods in other parts of the world where the loss of life has been more widespread, but these were places I grew up in.

Still, the water has receded, our fingers are crossed for other towns that are facing further flooding, and we hope the clean up goes well.

Wee Davie decided to donate a little to the RSPCA. He'd like to think that if he got caught in a flood, someone would think to provide him with a dry spot to sit and some dinner. And possibly a red ball to play with.


In the midst of all that, though, I had been working on a Cookie A. sock. I'm out a stitch. No matter how many times I think I've fixed it, that dratted stitch goes missing again. This is going to involve frogging. I don't feel up to frogging yet, so I cast on a hat.


It's going to turn into Corina Spencer's Toorie, which means a pom pom on your tam in Scots. I saw the hat and couldn't resist. Even in this humidity. And I'm currently massively in love with the Malabrigo I'm knitting it with (Charrua). This is going to be a great hat. Although, maybe not in this weather...

3 comments:

Rose Red said...

That is a really cute hat!

I've avoided most of the coverage, just watch the ABC news - the rest is all too much. Glad your family ok.

drkknits said...

its been awful to watch, like you say, esp when you know people, have been there. im glad your folks are all ok. mine too. but it was really the stories about the animals that got to me most too. there are so many still lost and missing and people who have no houses to take pets back home too. just awful. good on you wee davie xx

artificiallymythic said...

You know, that yarn looks very similar to that Trillium Tenth Doctor...

And it is a relief about your family... I hate the animal aspect of natural disasters... it's so upsetting. I think I need to go hug my puppy...