Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Who Can Resist Pom Poms?


My hat from last post (details included) is all done. Although someone did mention similarities between the colourway and a certain 10th Doctor, I stayed with my initial decision to think of my hat as 'Flora', inspired by Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm, one of my favourites.

Flora inherited, however, from her father a strong will and from her mother a slender ankle.

Which explains why I've photographed this brilliant hat with my head in a book. At least, that's my story.


It is a brilliant hat. The design is kooky and clever and it has a great vintage feel to it. And I don't think I'll ever stop loving to knit hats out of Malabrigo worsted. They come out in one skein and are all soft and squidgy. Everything you could wish for, in fact.

Alas, it's a little too warm for hats. Today I'm getting about in a turban of cling wrap. I'm trying out henna. It was less messy than anticipated in terms of process. I do, however, have continued doubts about my application, so we shall see at roughly 6pm! I may have remarkable red streaks in all the wrong places. I may also need to wear my hat despite the weather.

4 comments:

Rose Red said...

No-one! No-one can resist pompoms! I love that hat!!

And am excited to see how the henna goes. I think about it for me sometimes, although I suspect I'll never actually do it...

Andrea said...

VERY 10th Doctor! I've always loved brown and blue together, and the pompom makes it. Excellent book choice too :)

Good luck with the henna. I look forward to reading about the fun of washing it out (four washes, ankle deep in mud, the smell). I'm think back to my teen years, although I do have a bag of henna powder in my bathroom right now...hrm...

drkknits said...

its a very cold comfort hat, it looks great on. i have some leftover mal worsted, thank you for that inspiration!

artificiallymythic said...

Why hello. there you are. I've been looking for this post. I appear to have missed a few... *goes off to read more*