Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lola, La-la-la-la-Lola


Today I play the Kinks' 'Lola' in honour of one dignified, flighty little hen who went with as much pizazz as she lived her life.

Can you say a chicken can leave this world with pizazz?

You can if it's Lola!

She made it quite clear that she was going to go last night and when I asked if she knew I loved her, she nodded (yes, I did ask a chicken that question and yes, she did actually nod... I'm not exaggerating). I said goodbye as she sleepily winked and she only gave me a slightly irritated look when I tried to sneak back, as if to say 'we said goodbye, it's my time now.'

I'll really miss you, Lola.

Lola who would strut the best ever silly walks, who would always insist on eating sunflower seeds from my hand and then selectively put some down on the ground for later, who would create a mess at the feed bin as she searched for her favourite seeds, who would yip and look haughty if I tried to pick her up. Lola.

At the risk of making anyone cry, the hardest thing was going out this morning to find Fifi trying to wake her up. My little brown hen looks so sad, but Coco is there with her and they're having sunflower seeds in Lola's honour.

2 comments:

Rose Red said...

awww, sorry about Lola xx

drkknits said...

oh, so sad. i read a story the other day about chickens having feelings, and its very sad to think about Fifi missing her. chooks are amazing really, they give so much for so little in return. i hope you find another like her.