Friday, May 6, 2011

Bow Ties Are Cool and So Is Hamlet

Sometimes, on the spur of the moment, you put a knitting project into action. Sometimes the results are brilliant. Sometimes...

I was reading a book - a dry, academic-type book. I was having trouble focusing, so I thought I'd knit something as I read. I thought I'd knit a bow tie for Wee Davie. You see, I was being seriously tempted by these Silly Buddy's bow ties for dogs. Because, you know, bow ties are cool.

But I was being good. I wasn't going to be tempted. I had spare yarn. I could knit him a bow tie.

So I read up on mimesis and the multi-diegetic and intertextual and knitted a little bow tie. I popped it on the wee one's collar.

But do you think he wanted his photo taken? Of course not. After all, he had his interesting cube that makes crinkly sounds (and helps the RSPCA).


The only way to take a photo of his nice knitted bow tie was to try to hold the cube high enough. Of course, that meant you couldn't see him at all - only his jaws, clamped around the cube. And even then... he's black. He's kind of difficult to photograph at the best of times.


By which point the bow tie looked more like a bow... oops. I realised something about then. Scottish terriers can't really show off bow ties because they have little necks, long muzzles and long beards. Even if the knitted bow tie is a failure, at least I haven't given into temptation and been disappointed! Oh, okay, I'm still looking a little longingly at those bow ties. I promise, no coats other than strictly functional ones though! I will not dress up my dog... hand on heart. I will not do this or this or this to him, even though the thought makes me chuckle.

Artificially Mythic than revealed our response to her recent stash enhancement, The Yarn Hamlet. I'd recommend going to her post first, because it has continued. Today I offered up:
Hamlet:
I did love novelty yarn once.

Ophelia:
Indeed, my lord, you made me believe so.

Hamlet:
You should not have believ'd me, for alpaca cannot so
inoculate our old acrylics but we shall relish of it. I lov'd it not.

Ophelia:
I was the more deceiv'd.

Hamlet:
Get thee to a LYS, why woulds't thou be a breeder of
eyelash yarn scarves?
I blame a certain DrK who made a comment about acrylic yarn and has also contributed to our Yarn Hamlet in other quarters.

Really, we must be stopped.

2 comments:

drkknits said...

hehe, dogs in bow ties. yarn hamlets. too funny.

artificiallymythic said...

Oh so dashing with the bowtie! And why would *anybody* want to stop us?!