Monday, June 27, 2011

Skates, Socks and Soup

I'm stealing away a few minutes to blog. It's craziness here. But I did sneak off yesterday. At the beginning of the year, I swore I wouldn't let work take over my life and that I'd start doing things I loved again. I love ice skating, for example. It is ridiculous that I don't go more often. Earlier this year, I went with a friend and had a great time, even though my right foot wiggled and wobbled and I kept falling on my proverbial butt.

Then we kept trying to make a time to go, but work got in the way. I just put an end to that. There was an ice hockey match yesterday and we agreed that this time, we'd make it. Furthermore, we would skate beforehand. I just had to sort out that wobbly ankle. So I did something I've always wanted to do. I got my own skates! (You are missing my massive grin.)


They're actually hockey skates. I know - part of me longed for elegant white boots too, but the hockey skates offer much more support for wobbly ankles. And guess what? Before long, I was zipping like I did years ago! Zipping and dodging kamikaze children on zimmer frames. However, even at my advanced age, there is just something cool about leaving the rink with your own skates.

The ice hockey was brilliant. I was a bit 'meh' the first two periods, but the final period... wow. The winning goal with just 2 seconds to spare! My companion actually squealed. Right in my ear. It was very funny. And who couldn't love a sport that plays real rock music real loud? And puts naughty players in a penalty box?

A certain pal and I also made time for a Knit 'n' Skype at the end of last week. I was working on the green sock. Pal peered down at sock and observed: "What happened to your Bingleys? You finished one... YEARS ago." Oh, okay. So next day, bright and late morningish, I cast on the second Bingley. See, Artificially Mythic. Don't say I don't listen to you!


And to keep me going today? I whipped up this soup, which combines Nigella Lawson's White Bean Mash with a rich, tomato soup, filled with meatballs. I cheated and used frozen meatballs!


Dead easy. The soup is simply an onion and stick of celery chopped up and sweated down. Then you add a can of chopped tomatoes, a cup or so of stock, peas, 2 crushed garlic cloves, fresh thyme, pepper and meatballs. The mash is a can of white beans, drained, heated up with a dash of lemon juice, 2 crushed garlic cloves, salt, pepper and lashings of olive oil, all pureed. I admit, I could have been prettier in terms of dobbing in the mash, but it tasted great!

Okay, back to the madness!

3 comments:

drkknits said...

oh the madness. egads. and it never seems to lessen does it? so good you found time to do something you love, i hope you get right back into it and we have lots more tales of skating adventures. yummy socks and soup you have on the go there too!

Grand Purl Baa said...

Helloooooo Ms Gidget
Ta for biffday wishes.

Your dog should be on a postcard.

Moi

artificiallymythic said...

ahahahahaha! You *did* cast on Bingley #2! I can't believe it! Am I going to be turning the heel on this one as well? ;)

Yay for ice hockey and the Ice skating. I'm so envious.

All ready to enjoy the summer sunshine then?