Saturday, July 2, 2011

Geek Dinner and TV Night

Tonight I'm stealing away for myself! I made one of my favourite soups for dinner and have now dubbed it Destiny Soup, since I was watching SGU and knitting for a bit while eating it.


The soup is inspired by one I saw ages ago and can't find now. It's the sort of soup that makes you feel super virtuous, because of all the greens. Greens that, I might add, come from my garden. You just chop up some red onion, garlic, carrot, celery and red pepper, fry them off a bit, add lots of stock (I usually cut it with a bit of water), a handful or two of brown lentils, plenty of chopped up greens (there's silverbeet, perpetual spinach and another one whose name I don't recall in there), some thyme, cayenne pepper and chilli, a bit of salt, and I like it with lashings of cracked pepper.

I was so happy with that, I thought I'd treat myself to an episode or two of Firefly. This was the perfect opportunity to try out a couple of ideas I'd seen. One is an icecream made from frozen bananas and cocoa powder (you just whizz them up until smooth - my whizzing machine was a little off colour, so it didn't come out quite as well in terms of appearance), the other is whipped coconut milk. As I had some fresh strawberries on hand, this was dying to be a sundae... so...

Kaylee's Serenity Sundae! And it was fantastic. I have to stay relatively dairy free, so this was a pretty great way to get away with a sundae.


On the other hand, Wee Davie's dinner tonight smelled of feet. This didn't seem to bother him. In fact, I think he enjoyed it all the more for the fact that it smelled like feet.

Okay, I'm off to watched Warehouse 13 and knit some more. I have a plan tomorrow.

1 comment:

drkknits said...

soup, sundaes, firefly. perfection really. a plan? intrigued!