Sunday, September 11, 2011

Update from the Hen House

I'm getting eggs again! Okay, for a short while a few weeks ago, Cosette was laying. But then she got broody. She is still quite broody. She's not sitting on an egg, though. I've tried to explain to her that to be properly broody, she should at least be sitting on an egg. She's having none of it.

In the meantime, Gigi started laying and then, lo and behold, Fifi, whom we considered retired, started to lay her little white eggs. Except... I think she feels competition from Gigi, since she's laying strangely 'long' eggs...


Fifi is still making herself cosy at night between her feather duvets, namely Lulu and Gigi. The smallest hen is, naturally, queen of the coop. Although she had competition from Wee Davie for pancakes this morning. Watching the two vie for pancakes is priceless.


I'm knitting a present, so I can't show any work in progress and it means that I've slowed down on my Fiyero sock progress too. But isn't it pretty? I pulled it out and realised it rather nicely matched my hoop.


I'm still pretty lousy at hooping. I can get some tricks, but I still send the hoop spinning across the room at regular intervals. And then I get an attack of giggles. And then the hoop goes spinning off across the room again! Or across the yard, if I'm practising at home. I'm just worried I'll have to pop next door and shamefacedly ask for my hoop back...

Wee Davie, of course, doesn't consider hooping should get in the way of his soccer practice. So I'm spinning a hoop over my head and he kicks the ball over to my feet, then waits expectantly for me to kick it back. The spinning hoop means nothing to him.

"Dear teacher, my hoop practice was interrupted by my dog."

2 comments:

drkknits said...

oh fresh eggs, so lovely. and so different! sounds like never a dull moment in your back yard! i cant do anything in mine without a ball being nudged under my foot. i rolled my ankle on a tennis ball coming out of the laundry the other day. sigh. the green sock is gorgeous.

artificiallymythic said...

The green sock is beautiful! And I'm envious of the hooping. I have no space (or hoop classes) to indulge in that type of fun.

And yay for your chooks. It must be coming up on summer if they're starting to lay again.