Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Little Getaway

Earlier this week, I was relaxing. It was wonderful. I visited The River Song for the first time.


One afternoon, Mum and I invaded, armed with a picnic basket of gluten free cupcakes and old-fashioned soda pops. We sat on the back stairs and knitted. The birds sang. The breeze blew.


I realised that sitting on the back steps is one of my favourite things in the world. I have since been daydreaming of kitchen sinks and shiny taps. The River Song has never had a modern kitchen. There have never been benches and overhead cupboards. It is as it was in the 20s, complete with broom cupboard. Apparently the real estate people thought this was a negative selling point. My heart sang. A whole kitchen to play with! And no built-ins will sully my kitchen. I have magnificent plans for a cosy, 20s inspired kitchen. If only Agas were cheaper...

I also heard some more family stories while I was away. I have a great great aunt Dora who has totally stolen my heart. She never wed. When I asked my grandfather about this, he burst out laughing. "Her older sister died after having three children and her husband, Jack, turned up at the house asking for another sister. Dora sent him packing." Who could not love her for that? I'm finding a copy of her picture to put up - we single ladies have to stick together! As I then pointed to my great great grandmother Caroline, my grandfather gave another chuckle. "Oh, she held the purse strings in that marriage! She kept it all in a billy can under her bed. He [being my great great grandfather] did what she told him. He didn't get the bacon." I smiled contentedly.

I'm not really someone who sees her ancestors in herself. I think we make our own lives. But I love a good family story and I'm coming to love the relatives I never had a chance to meet.

I'd also love a little more knitting time, but I'm crimping what I can. I'm more than half way through another pair of socks and Wee Davie has already given his approval to the first sock.

3 comments:

Rose Red said...

Oh wow! Can I request a guided tour of The River Song? I love what I have seen so far!
I would love an Aga too. How wonderful would that be...

DrK said...

that wee davie has most excellent taste. cute little wet black nose (bite). i love the look of the river song, cant wait to see your journey with her. by the way, i have an aga! it might even work. its gorgeous.

artificiallymythic said...

*sigh* I am in love with the River Song. So very, very much.