Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Healthy Post



Okay, so we don't really have Thanksgiving in Australia.

I still love the concept. Perhaps because I love pumpkin and yams. So, when Thanksgiving whirled around last week and I happened to have the day off, I decided to make a Thanksgiving feast and prepared a marathon of Thanksgiving episodes (Buffy, Chuck, Gilmore Girls...). I made roast turkey drumsticks with roasted pumpkin and potatoes and then whipped up a salad, which I've dubbed "Romancing the Salad".

It was incredibly good.

You just steam up some quinoa. I used a mix of about 1 part red to 2-3 parts white to give it a bit of extra colour. Let that cool. Whip up a dressing of the juice of one blood orange, a splash of olive oil, a little trickle of balsamic vinegar (I don't measure... it makes life more exciting!), salt, pepper, and one garlic clove minced up. When the quinoa is cool, add a couple of chopped up qukes (I madly love qukes!), half a chopped spring onion (I actually cooked it a bit with the quinoa to make it mild), a small handful of pine nuts, a small handful of chopped up parsley and a good handful of dried cranberries. Then add the dressing. The salad will just soak it up and give you lots of shininess. I added the left over turkey the next day and... oh yes! This is the stuff!

"It is a sham. But it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham."

1 comment:

drkknits said...

yum! i really wish, of all the bits of american culture we're absording, that thanksgiving had been one of them. and not just for the food. great looking salad!