Saturday, December 17, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Last night I went to see Neil Gaiman and Tom Stoppard. The night before I was at a Christmas party. This morning, I'm armed with coffee and aspirin and thinking about 'The Great Clean-up' that I have to achieve today before visitors come rolling in tomorrow.

Incidentally, last night was brilliant. I swear, Neil Gaiman is one of the few authors who can threaten to send in the hounds on his audience and his audience would let him. And he talked about 'The Doctor's Wife,' which made me peculiarly happy.

As an added bonus, on the train, I knitted up the cuff of my second Pointelle sock. I decided to actively participate in The Southern Summer of Socks this time around. It wouldn't have anything to do with the Knitsch on offer. No siree. However, it did mean I dug out my half started Pointelle sock (from Cookie A's Knit Sock Love) in Vintage Purl's 'Oneirology'. I started ages and ages ago and things went badly wrong. I looked at it, I squished it - it really is the softest, loveliest yarn. I ripped right back. I started again, full of purpose. I went wrong again. I took a breath. I ripped right back again. I started again, full of more purpose. I went wrong again...

But, well, the curse lifted. I sensibly stuck a large post-it note on the chart so I wouldn't start reading the wrong row and look, I ended up with a sock already!


I have no idea why I required all those false starts. Once I was settled in with the post-it note, the sock flew. In the background, you can also see my first finished Chick Flick sock. Hey, who said I had to finish a proper pair? Well, I think one of the moderators on the Southern Summer of Socks might have said something about that... (whistles to herself).


The designing is going well too and I'm hoping to start showing some photos, because, let's face it, I'm going to be a while at it and I might as well show it off in the meantime.

Just like Wee Davie is showing off his new coat. It's by Made by De. Yes, it is summer, hence, this is a cooling coat. Dampened down with water, it holds in the cool for hot Scots. Hot Scots who today have to have a bath in the middle of 'The Great Clean-up'. Yes, this means I'll probably have a muddy Scot rampaging over newly cleaned floors. I'll have to think this plan out some more...


I've also put aside for a short while the plans to decorate with many TARDIS snowflakes.


This is my slightly - ahem, very - dodgy first attempt at replicating this awesome snowflake. I had been cutting out Star Wars snowflakes to insert in Christmas cards for various friends, but I'm more a Doctor Who girl. Problem is, there aren't as many templates out there for Doctor Who. Which is outrageous.

I've also been making my new favourite holiday snack - white chocolate popcorn with sprinkles.


Ah, 'tis the season. Okay, I think one more coffee then I really will start 'The Great Clean-up'. Or I'll just keep watching my current favourite seasonal clip... A muppet, a Scot in a Christmas sweater, and a pipe. What more do I need?

4 comments:

artificiallymythic said...

Such beautiful socks! They look gorgeous. And TS and NG. You lucky, lucky fish. *sigh*

I've just re-signed up to SSoS. Need to take it seriously this season...

Rose Red said...

That snowflake is too cool! Love it!

And hello my new crush White chocolate popcorn! How does one make such a wonder?

WildflowerWool said...

Great socks! Merry Christmas!

DrK said...

oh so much christmas spirit in one post! the socks are looking just gorgeous. may the silly season bring much joy to you and the hot scot :)